Thursday, March 31, 2011

Jackson's Timberframe Block

The Central Park fabric I'm using for Jackson's quilt has the cutest little squirrels and turtles on it - all of about 1 1/2'' square. I wanted to feature these little creatures in a block I saw on the Oh Frannson blog last week. The little squirrel even has little acorns - so cute!
I've included the full instructions here for the 10'' finished block, but her are some photos to walk you through the steps. I changed up the color of each block based on my color scheme, but kept the turquoise and dotted fabric consistent in each block. The construction is log cabin-ish, building your way around the center square.
Here are the blocks waiting for their Lincoln logs - the turtles and squirrels.
The sides of the timberframe construction are done first - sewing them to the bock as a pre-fab unit.
When it comes to adding the top and bottom Lincoln log units you need to be careful to match your seams correctly!
All matched up and ready to sew!
Failure to match your seams correctly results in this - not good!
Here's a finished block - so cute!
I even fussy cut the corner squares to run the lines on the fabric diagonally.
Remember - you can get the instructions for the blocks in Jackson's quilt here!

Just a side note - I come from a very large family and brag about it, but yesterday we lost someone very special to us, my nephew Greg. It is with a heavy heart that I'm posting today's blog.

2 comments:

Pinkadot Quilts said...

I am sorry to hear about your nephew.

Kate said...

So sorry to read about your nephew.
Lovely blocks.

Post a Comment