Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day Weekend: Food and Flick

What a great Father's Day weekend - both daughters home, fantastic food and an amazing movie. Last night we had dinner in Philadelphia at Kanella's on 10th and Spruce Streets - a Greek BYOB. Everything was delicious, but the smelts were irresistible - I know my good friend Diane is welling up at the site of these crispy golden fried morsels of smelty goodness.
After dinner we took in "Exit Through the Gift Shop" at the Ritz. The film was directed by the ever elusive street artist Banksy highlighting the work of numerous street artists including Shephard Fairey, Invader and Theirry, the shop owner, turned film addict, turned street artist. This film is an intriguing look at the evolution of street art, the vision of the artists and their creative process - thoroughly entertaining.

Today I wanted to cook a nice meal for the family to celebrate Father's Day. On the menu was homemade ravioli. I made my own fresh pasta - look at these beautiful egg yolks from my grower's market - they are orange - you can't get this from supermarket eggs - my pasta recipe uses 9 egg yolks.

Take a look at this ball of pasta - it has a more intense yellow color than the lily.
I used this beautiful goat cheese from Cherry Glen to make my stuffing. There's a story behind this cheese. This past week my husband and I attended a lovely wine tasting at Restaurant Alba in Malvern, PA - our good friend and amateur sommellier, Craig Badyna, was our wine steward for the evening - everything was, as always, excellent. Sean Weinberg, the chef owner of Alba made a delicious goat cheese ravioli for our second course in the five course dinner - and as usual, I was picking his brain to get the recipe - he was kind enough to give me some of the goat cheese in his ravioli - told me to put it in my purse and not to forget it when I got home.
Here are my delicate ravioli squares filled with goat cheese, lemon and mint. I finished them with peas and a light cream sauce that I infused with garlic and lemon zest, and then topped with fresh mint and a fresh grating of Parmesan cheese - the family gave it rave reviews!

To serve with my pasta I made a simple salad of red lettuce, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, and golden roasted beets dressed with a light vinaigrette. I topped the salad with fried green tomatoes coated with panko. Happy Father's Day Honey!

1 comment:

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Drooling, Near Philadelphia.

Post a Comment