Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A Different Color Wheel

The November 2009 issue of Wired Magazine (a favorite of mine) featured this wonderful color wheel from David McCandless - it represents the history of "in" fashion colors from 2002 - 2010; the fall colors are on the inside, spring on the outside. An absolutely brilliant way to visualize color trends.
The color wheel is an excerpt from David's book - The Visual Miscellaneum - I've added it to my wish list. Take a look at his link for more snipplets from the book - I think you might be interested as well.

As quilters we can learn a lot from how other artists work with color. All too often quilters fall hostage to fabric designers who create lines of fabric in a very narrow color palette that doesn't play well with other fabrics in terms of color. But, if you allow yourself the luxury to really look at unique color combinations you can break away from the solitary "designer fabric line" mentality and get really creative with a color palette all your own.

Looking at the spring 2010 "in" colors I can wholeheartedly assure you I am "out" - today I'm wearing colors from the 2002 fall "in" colors - and back then even what I am wearing today would not have been considered "in style".

No comments:

Post a Comment