Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Pita Perfect

No - that's not my thread collection - but a girl can have her dreams! I was out shopping today with friends - the only way to shop. I love to shop for fabric - and I have many favorite fabric shops. I've decided to list all of my favorite fabric shops at this blog - one list, no playing favorites - they are all great - long live the independent fabric shop! Stay tuned for the listing.
I picked up this lovely little collection of fabric while I was out today - I'm hoping to have time tomorrow to create a table runner for my dining room table - big dinner party scheduled for Saturday and I'd love to have something new on the table - I cannot wait to share the menu with you for the dinner party!
For tonight's dinner it's vegetarian - Greek Salad Pita Sandwiches and a Celery Root, Carrot and and Beet Salad. First things first - I need to make pitas - yes - homemade pita - it is so easy. You can find the recipe at the King Arthur Flour website. Here are my ingredients all ready to go - I used 2 cups of all purpose flour and one cup of whole wheat flour. I love SAF instant yeast for all bread baking.
Meet my baking center - my favorite part of the kitchen!
I use my Kitchenaid mixer to mix and knead the dough - it comes together nicely.
Into the oven for an hour of proofing - my oven has a proofing setting - love it!
The magic of yeast - after one hour my dough has more than doubled!
The dough gets divided into 8 pieces,
and rolled out into 6 inch circles.
Here they are in the oven after 5 minutes of baking - beautifully puffy.
Mmmmm, yummy, puffy pita.
The dinner of many veggies - and, yes, we really eat like this.
Yes, this is edible - it is celery root, or celeriac. I love the mild celery flavor. It can be a bit challenging to peel, but it's well worth the effort.
Here is the salad - Celery Root, Carrot and Beet Salad - I used the leftover Kumquat dressing instead of the recipe's vinaigrette. I stuffed the pitas with a salad of cucumber, onion, radicchio, kalamata olives, radishes, parsley and feta cheese; and, topped everything with homemade tzatziki. I made the tzatziki using 1 cup of 2% Greek yogurt, 1 cup of diced English cucumber, 2 tablespoons chopped sweet onion, 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon chopped dill, and 1 chopped clove of garlic.
And now for the best news of the day - the snow blower came home from it's visit to the snow blower infirmary - yea! Snow prediction for tomorrow - possibly another foot - enuf white stuff!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are too much....all that fine cooking stuff and then the joy of the snowblower. ck

Anonymous said...

Greetings from the Eastern Shore. Your beet salad looks awesome -- and homemade pita bread too. I will have to try my hand at that.
Norma Harris (former Calico Cutter)

Christine said...

Wow look at that beautiful dough! I'll have to give it a try. It is so ridiculous that we are getting more snow (I'm in Abington). At least you have a snow blower now! :) Christine

Post a Comment