Friday, February 26, 2010

'nuther Nor-Easter

Woke up this morning to the remnants of yet another Nor-Easter here on the east coast. I have no idea how much snow we got, but the wind was fierce! I didn't sleep good last night - who can sleep with all that wind - gave me time to catch up on my favorite blogs. When I woke up this morning I was grumpy - I wanted my espresso and my favorite winter breakfast, fast - a hot bowl of oatmeal with local Pennsylvania maple syrup - Buy Local PA! I love dark amber syrup - it has a rich maple-y flavor, adds a lot more than sweetness to whatever you add it to. And yes - that's my name on the napkin. I have one of those fancy sewing / embroidery machines and I love to make sets of cloth napkins for our table (and as gifts to friends) - this one is probably 10 years old! Every couple of days they get thrown in the laundry - we're saving trees!I use steel cut oats, called oat groats, to make our oatmeal - it has a nice, toothy bite to it. I buy it at a bulk food store outside of my hometown of Fleetwood, PA.

Steel cut oats have a relatively long cooking time - so I cook up a batch of about 6 servings, keep it in the fridge, and reheat on the stovetop as needed.

Finished my table runner this morning - here's the A side - bird's eye view -

Take a step back and have a look. There is no rhyme or reason to the quilting - it's a liberated quilt - no rules, remember? I'm using it on the table for my dinner party tomorrow night - wonder who will be the first to spill red wine on it? I used mostly Kaffe Fassett fabrics. The solid fabric is a new line from Moda called Basic Gray - I love the painterly look but so wish they had a softer hand - it will work nicely in wall hangings.

And here's the B side - bird's eye view -

And taking a step back. I really like both sides - what do you think?
Just to end on a whine - this is what my garage roof looks like today - over 4 feet of drifted snow; yesterday it was almost free of snow from the last storm. Got to get it off of there before March 7th - that's the date an Amish gentleman from Berks County is predicting the biggest snow storm of the year - oh, how I hope he is wrong!

1 comment:

Monika said...

We eat steel cut oats almost every day for breakfast. With chop nuts and seeds,blueberries,grated apple and homemade yogurt.My son likes maple syrup o his as well-our comes from Ontario,Canada :))
I also use it a lot as a side dish with caramelize onions and dash of salt and pepper.

Post a Comment